General Information About Auditioning
- Auditions are open; family involvement is encouraged
- Productions may have specific age or gender requirements
- Auditions are conducted on a first-come, first served basis
- Bring your calendar to note any conflicts on your audition form
You may fill out the form below and bring it with you, or fill one out at auditions
CHILD AUDITION AGREEMENT – PARENTS OF YOUTH 17 & UNDER
AUDITION SONG EXAMPLES Unless specific audition music is required (read below), we suggest choosing one of the following popular, well-know songs for your audition.
NEXT UP: Oklahoma! (Details below)
May 15 and May 16th
Chaska Community Center, 1661 Park Ridge Drive
– Auditions are open to ages 8 and up. Note that younger children of participating families may be considered after casting.
– You may audition either day. If you are a more accomplished dancer please audition on Tuesday, May 16th, if possible.
– Please note ALL conflicts during June/July (including weekends) as rehearsal time is limited.
– You must be available for ALL shows July 27-August 6th.
7:00 pm performances on July 27, 28, 29, August 2, 3, 4, & 5.
2:00 pm performances July 30 and August 5 & 6.
1. Please prepare your best 16-32 bars of music to be presented during the audition. You may sing any musical theater song of your liking or something from the show. Please bring sheet music clearly marked for the accompanist (where you will start, end and tempo). The director would prefer you work with the live accompanist and avoid the use of pre-recorded music.
Remember: Your audition piece should help the director and music director make the link between your abilities and the show. Songs should be chosen with an eye (ear) towards the type of music and style in Oklahoma!
2. Please be prepared for a quick dance audition. Dress appropriately. The choreographer will teach all a small combination. Auditionees will present in small groups.
Side Note: The choreographer may ask those with more dance training/abilities to stay for a more challenging combination. (ballet and tap) That may also be part of the callback sequence.
3. Callbacks will be held May 18th from 5:00pm-9:30pm. These auditions tend to take most of the evening. Those asked to attend callbacks will sing from the score as well as read from the script. It is possible that more skilled dancers could be asked to attend to work with choreographer as well.
For younger children (under 13 years-old):
1. They may prepare a piece of music as well and sing for us or they may sing something acapella such as ‘Happy Birthday’ or something from Disney that they may know. They may also be asked to ‘dance’ in a group. Please dress them appropriately for movement.
A NOTE FROM THE DIRECTOR:
Hello All! My name is Natalie Foster, and I am excited to be directing, OKLAHOMA! for CVFT this summer.
I’ve been directing professionally for over 20 years. I worked at an actor and singer for many years in the Washington D.C. area and as an educator/artistic director as well. Currently I am the artistic director/theater educator at Hopkins High School where I direct the musical, the spring plays and 5 one-acts every year.
I am in love with and a bit awed by the creation of a piece of theatre. It is a joy to work with others in that creative process. There is something sacred and divine in that creation. As the director, my job is to shape and clarify the story while honoring the time and talents of those who hitch their wagon to mine. It is an awesome privilege and a responsibility I don’t take lightly.
With all of that – I adore the beauty of Rogers and Hammerstein’s, OKLAHOMA! The story is well supported through song, dialogue, and movement. Its themes of romance and struggle are transfixing. The show’s pioneering spirit, its expansiveness, its characters’ fierce determination to find their place in a harsh environment is inspirational. These people know that in order to survive they must learn to work together, to tolerate each other, to protect each other and to share in each other’s happiness and sorrow. It really is a story of today, and I am so happy to have the opportunity to explore this show with such a talented, dedicated group of people. Anxious to meet all of you at the auditions in May.